|Reference No. (2020-08-36)
|FOR :||All Honorable Mayors
|FROM :||The LCP Executive Director
|RE :||Proposal for establishment of modular testing laboratories for cities
|DATE:||05 August 2020|
As the number of cases of COVID-19 cases continues to rise in the country, it is imperative for cities to improve access to testing and ensure quicker turnaround time. As relayed by DOH Undersecretary Rosario Vergeire during our testing webinar last May, one of the most cost-effective strategies for expanding access to testing is through the establishment of modular labs. These are container vans that can be converted into testing laboratories and can be set-up even in far-flung and remote LGUs at a lesser cost than the full-blown molecular laboratories.
Related to this, we are pleased to inform you that the Nutrition Center of the Philippines (NCP) has offered to partner with the member-cities of LCP in establishing modular laboratories. Through the project, NCP aims to work with cities in establishing a new modular laboratory with building materials and equipment. The project also includes training of personnel using the blended learning approach to complement DOHaccredited training. The designs of the modular labs have already been reviewed by the DOH-RITM with minimal revisions for implementation and the NCP guarantees compliance with DOH Administrative Orders 2020-0014 and 2020-0014-A. The expected timeline from contract signing to commissioning of the laboratory, including training, is approximately 90 days.
Design and budget
|3M||Corresponds to DOH modular lab design||Approved by DOH||Php 10.08M|
|5M||Corresponds to Annex D1 of DOH design||Undergoing review||Php 12M|
*includes VAT, equipment which may vary slightly depending on LGU preference on the number and model of PCR machines; shipping costs to be quoted separately
The NCP team composed of experts on tropical diseases, epidemiology, immunology, molecular biology, public health, biosafety and engineering and design will manage the project.
● Molecular Lab with furnishing and required ventilation.
● Equipment compliant with DOH requirements and as agreed upon by the LGU and NCP.
● Development of Standard Operating Procedures for the Laboratory.
● Training on Standard Operating Procedures through blended learning.
● Training and Mentoring in achieving accreditation and performance of assays.
● Access to secure land for the modular labs, and electricity, water and drainage;
● Facilitate the connection to electrical, water and sewage/drainage and completion of local regulatory requirements;
● Facilitate coordination with other LGU agencies or units as needed for construction and mobilization of our project team.
● An existing system for the disposal of decontaminated / disinfected laboratory waste using the city/province’s facilities for hospital waste disposal;
● LGU commits funds to establish the lab, procure equipment and maintain the lab annually as per protocol (calibration, certification of equipment)
The more detailed proposal for the project is attached for your perusal. For questions and clarifications, you may coordinate directly with Dr. Juan Antonio Solon, the President of the NCP at his email: email@example.com so you can discuss the project via video conference.
We look forward to your participation and support.
Atty. Shereen Gail Yu-Pamintuan
LCP Executive Director