|Reference No. (2018-03-16)
|FOR :||THE HONORABLE CITY MAYORS
|FROM :||Atty. Shereen Gail C. Yu-Pamintuan
|RE :||3rd Reading of Senate Bill 1842 Scheduled on 6 August 2018
|DATE:||August 10, 2018|
This refers to scheduled 3rd and final reading of Senate Bill 1842 authored by Senator Lacson which seeks to exempt municipalities and cluster of barangays with 250million locally-generated income from the population or land area requirements of conversion by amending Section 450 of the Local Government Code of 1991.
We are grateful for the mayors who signified to join our National President and National Chairperson on Monday, 6 August 2018, 3:00 PM at the Senate Plenary Hall. As of 2PM today, we have:
1. Mayor Rose Furigay, Lamitan City
2. Mayor Noel Rosal, Legazpi City
3. Mayor Francis S. Garcia, City of Balanga
4. Mayor Bing Leonardia, Bacolod City
We also convinced Governors to join us on Monday as Lacson’s Bill will greatly affect their share from real property tax collection as 15 municipalities automatically qualifies for conversion.
Given our efforts, there are two possible scenarios for the Senate Plenary Session on Monday:
1. SBN 1842 will NOT be tackled, LCP delegates will lobby with the Senators present.
2. SBN 1842 will be tackled, LCP will still attend the plenary session and observe the maneuvering on SBN 1842. Currently, we were assured that we will have the vote of Senator Gatchalian, Senator Ejercito, and Senator Bam Aquino. We also got word that Senate President Tito Sotto will be in Malacanang on Monday.
We still need your assistance in convincing senators to VOTE against Senate Bill 1842. Also, we need warm bodies at the Senate to show our senators that the rejection of this bill is important to us. Attached is a copy of our updated briefer on the bill which argues that removing the physical requirements on conversion blurs the distinction in creating local government units. Our Secretariat staff will be at the Senate to assist you. Kindly get in touch with the undersigned or with the following staff for any concerns or inquiries:
1. Tess Orbita: 0906.573.3580
2. Anna Abalahin: 0995.967.5768
3. Ma. Veronica C. Hitosis: 0917.816.9546
4. Segfrey Gonzalez: 0945.155.0691
Thank you for your cooperation.
Very truly yours,
Atty. Shereen Gail C. Yu-Pamintuan